Toronto City Church – Too much flavour
Posted August 16, 2011on:
This week I thought we were going to keep things simple by heading to a church located in a high school gym. In hindsight, when a church doesn’t have it’s own building you sort of need to expect a certain degree of craziness. It’s fair to assume that if there isn’t a larger organization providing oversight, it’s quite possibly one dude who just decided to start his own church and somehow found an auditorium full of followers – and that’s very likely what this was.
Anyway, we did go in expecting some craziness, but got more than we had planned for. We actually decided to walk out of the service after sitting there for a good 1.5 hours, so it was fair to leave.
- Friendly people: Note there are no pictures inside because we were flagged as outsiders immediately and were welcomed by some enthusiastic people. We were watched like hawks, so I couldn’t even sneak an inside photo.
- Band: They had a decent band who played for 45 minutes (longer than I cared for, but whatevs). The songs were modern, pretty much love songs, but ‘You’ instead of ‘you’ and ‘Jesus’ instead of ‘girl’.
- Church buddy: He hated the service long before I did. At one point I looked at him standing totally still with a blank expression on his face while everyone else was singing and dancing and loving the music. This was the highlight of the service for me – laughing at his obvious discomfort (until I realized I felt the same as he looked).
- Yelling: During the sermon the pastor yelled, like a lot. Yelling at people to love Jesus more, but in a very angry way. FYI – I don’t like getting yelled at directly or as part of a group. Normally I cry when people yell at me, but in this case I just felt scared.
- Disrespect: As part of this sermon, the pastor was quite disrespectful towards another religion. I did not care for that at all.
- Songs: I know I have the band as a highlight, but the songs went on sooo long, so they also sort of sucked. And some of the lines were too much, like “You have the most beautiful eyes”. Really? Jesus has the most beautiful eyes? Is that what he needs to hear from people, that he has nice eyes?
- This church actually operates an indoor soccer centre as a revenue generating venture. I think that’s pretty cool since TO needs the facilities, but now have mixed feelings as to whether or not I’d ever play there.
The Ice Cream
After getting yelled at we definitely deserved a treat. We headed to Hotel Gelato, just up the road. I was still riled up with anger and fear following the sermon, so I decided to be ‘clever’ and order two flavours that represented the church: Coconut and Peanut Butter & Banana. Emphasis was on the “nuts” (/groan – yet also very hard to find anger in gelato, so props to me as well).
Sometimes peanut butter can be overpowering in an treat, but in this case it wasn’t, just a hint of the flavour with the banana to mellow it. Wasn’t crazy about the coconut, but it’s more the flavour’s fault rather than the gelato. Overall the place was just okay for me, but church buddy ordered pistachio and he said that it was the best gelato he’s had yet. So probably an overall pretty good place to go.